Sunday, May 10, 2009

Curiouser and Curiouser...

I've had a slight penchant for Alice in Wonderland-type things lately, which is odd because it isn't one of my favourite Disney movies and I'm pretty sure I don't own any of the books. I digress. Possibly the fact that a tea party features quite prominently, but I'm keen on the whole perspectives thing where things are oversized or tiny. I'm thinking of working a dress around the idea, but I need sleep and some more time before I put the plan into action :) Some favourite Alice-y things:

The tea party scene, nacht. Apparently Andrew McMahon has a tattoo of the tea party scene, which makes it even cooler (Disney version or otherwise). Did Disney create the iconic blue dress or steal it? Curiouser and curiouser...



I'm very keen on this mural by Greg Hartman at The Painted Perception, which is on the wall of a bookstore in New Zealand.



I adore these Weird Alice in Wonderland earrings by Unique Art Pendants




Laura Marling's My Manic and I filmclip has always reminded me of Alice in Wonderland. Probably the blue dress, blonde hair and burgundy background? Either way, it deserves a post.

4 comments:

Monster Girl said...

Alice in Wonderland is one of my favourite books and movies ever. I heart all things Alice! :) Disney decided on the blue dress, there's been countless Alice illustrators all with different ideas but how Alice looks and what she wears is never specifically clarified so Disney just decided upon blue and it stuck I suppose. Aaaanyway just in case you were wondering. *blush*

Anonymous said...

Alice in Wonderland is such a favourite of mine <3

Tara said...

Did you watch this on TV last week? I did and now I am hearing stuff about it everywhere. Lovely post my dear.

Krystal Wight Armstrong said...

Well what she wears and looks like actually can be said to have been 'specifically clarified,' by Tenniel's original illustrations for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Carroll was close friends with Tenniel and had much to do with the drawings when he published the story originally handwritten for his child-friend, Alice Liddell, of whom the story is based; so it can be said that the author did specify what she was wearing. Though at the moment I can't recall if it is ever mentioned as blue in the texts. Because the illustrations are not in color, it's hard to say about the blue.
I'll have to go look it up...though I'm inclined to say the many story illustrations of her, by other artists before the Disney movie, were also blue.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com